Few directors use music as effectively as Australian director Baz Luhrmann. The man behind Moulin Rouge!, Australia, Romeo + Juliet, and Strictly Ballroom fills his movies with a stylish blend of remixed pop classics and powerful modern hits to create a unique soundscape that merges perfectly with his stunning visual flair.
His new film, The Great Gatsby, is no different, with a hot soundtrack (executive produced by Jay-Z) that features new songs and unique covers, including a dark rendition of Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black” performed by Beyoncé & André 3000. Opening in cinemas on May 10, you can get a head start on the film’s awesome music as website Rdio streams the entire album ahead of the release!
The film is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Long Island-set novel about Midwesterner Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire), who is lured into the lavish world of his neighbor, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio). Soon enough, Carraway begins to see through the veneer of Gatsby’s nouveau riche existence, where obsession, madness, and tragedy await.
Jay-Z said his participation in the soundtrack happened naturally. “I was working on a song called ‘No Church in the Wild’, and I was working on it while [Luhrmann was] in the room. And then we started playing some music and just talked about collaborating because, you know, it was a collaboration with Kanye at the time, and we just talked about the act and the art of collaborating and I guess that was the seed of the ideas.” After fooling around with some songs, Jay-Z stepped up and took the executive producer role for the soundtrack.
Click below to experience Beyoncé, Lana Del Ray, Sia, Florence and the Machine, The xx, Jay-Z, and Jack White on Music from Baz Luhrmann’s Film The Great Gatsby.
- 100$ Bill—Jay-Z
- Back to Black—Beyoncé, André 3000
- Young and Beautiful—Lana Del Rey
- Love is Blindness—Jack White
- Crazy in Love (Kid Koala Version)—Emeli Sandé, The Bryan Ferry Orchestra
- Bang Bang—will.i.am
- “I Like Large Parties”—Elizabeth Debicki
- A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got)—Fergie, Q-Tip, GoonRock
- Love is the Drug—Bryan Ferry, The Bryan Ferry Orchestra
- “Can’t Repeat the Past?”—Leonardo Dicaprio, Tobey Maguire
- Hearts a Mess—Gotye
- Where the Wind Blows—Coco O.
- Green Light—Green Light
- No Church in the Wild—Jay-Z, Kanye West
- Over the Love—Florence + The Machine
- Together—The xx
- Into the Past—Nero
- Kill and Run—Sia
- Over the Love (Of You)—Florence + The Machine, SBTRKT
- Young and Beautiful (DH Orchestral Version)—Lana Del Rey
- “Gatsby Believed in the Green Light”—Tobey Maguire, Craig Armstrong